Who I am:
Grateful student of life, of yoga & Ayurveda; musician, artist, nature lover, gardener, mentor, love to laugh & look for humor in life.
What & Why I teach:
I teach group classes, private sessions, my Strong & Steady private program, and workshops. I love introducing yoga to people who have never tried it (“I’m too stiff for yoga!”), or have tried a style that didn’t work for them. I came to yoga to connect with my own wholeness of body & spirit, and love teaching that connection.
My current classes (and workshops) include:
- Gentle, Restorative, Moderate classes
- Workshops: Restore & Replenish, Yoga & Meditation
My intention is to welcome you where you are. My classes lean toward gentle with many layers of possibility to become stronger. They are meditative, playful, and a balance of challenge & ease. They’re always changing and repeating basic alignment and core strength cues in different ways. I find yoga philosophy inspiring and helpful in life, and I often share themes and readings in class.
What brought me to yoga:
Friends got me interested when yoga was first being offered in Portland in the 80’s. Then I went to Kripalu Center and fell in love with Kripalu Yoga and the nonjudgmental invitation to be present in my body as it is. Yoga practice and study has been in my life for a long time now, and I am grateful to have all of yoga – movement, philosophy, and health practices – to draw on for life.
Favorite pose (and why):
I have many favorites, and my favorite resting pose is Legs up on the couch! I lie on the floor, lower legs up on the couch, and my eye pillow over my eyes, with soft, deep breaths. A few minutes of heavenly restoration.
Off the mat:
My role as studio owner keeps me busy as I wear many different hats! When my time is free you’ll find me walking by the ocean, reading, singing, drawing, gardening, hiking, fixing my house, cooking local, healthy foods, and enjoying friends & family.
Certifications, Trainings & Degrees:
Over the years, I have studied frequently. Below are some of the highlights. Some of my most influential teachers have been Swami Kripalu, Jack Kornfield, Pema Chodron, Stephen Cope, Donna Farhi, and many of the senior teachers at Kripalu Center.
- Science of the Private Lesson certification, with Francesca Cervero, 2017
- Restorative Yoga Teaching Immersion, with Margo Rosingana, 2017
- Integrated Positional Therapy Level I, with Lee Albert at Kripalu, 2016
- Instructing Yoga for Special Populations, 75-hr Kripalu Yoga Teacher Training, 2015
- Gentle Yoga Teacher Training certification, 2015, with Rudy Pierce from Kripalu
- 500+ hr teacher certification from Kripalu Center, 2003
- ERYT 500 hrs (Experienced registered yoga teacher with Yoga Alliance)
- 200 hr teacher certification from Kripalu Center, 1992-1993
- Health Kinesiology certification
- BA, Art; plus further studies toward a B.S. in Management